Power & Lactate Testing
We offer a specific lactate test to help you determine your training zones, measure your power and lactate levels and help you achieve your cycling goals.
|Power and Lactate Step Test||$200|
Why do the test?
Do you know what your heart rate or power training zones are?
Do you own power cranks but are not sure how to use them and what the numbers mean?
Do you want to use your heart rate monitor more scientifically so you can see how much time is spent riding in each training zone?
Do you think you’re always training too hard, or maybe most of your training lacks specific intensity?
So how do you know if you’re riding too hard or too easy?
The answer is to get scientifically tested so when you train with a heart rate monitor or with power, you will know what your training zones are, and if you are riding in the correct zone.
The purpose of the test is to:
- Determine your training zones using heart rate, power and lactate readings
- Analyse your pedal effectiveness and identify any variation and imbalances between your left/right leg power
- Calculate your lactate threshold power (the point where you are no longer adequately clearing the lactate), also known as your FTP.
- Retest your power/heartrate/lactate levels after a period of training (usually 3-6 months) to review your threshold power, and compare your lactate and power levels at each level of intensity, relative to earlier tests.
This assessment will take approximately 1hr. You will need to bring:
- your bike shoes
- bike knicks and a singlet top
- small hand towel (you will get hot during this test)
- Pedals (if you use any pedal system other than shimano)
What you will take home from the test:
- A printed report indicating your training zones (in power and heart rate), to use for training purposes.
- The report will show your lactate levels at each power level which is important to determine the effectiveness of your training, especially when compared to earlier tests.
- You will receive screen prints from the Wattbike file or you can receive the entire compressed file. This report includes numerous parameters including left/right leg power and efficiency analysis, calculated for every second of your test. This is a large file that will be zipped and emailed to you. You will need to download free Wattbike software in order to open and analyse your Wattbike file.
Want to get tested – what to do next?
- Make an appointment – fill out the enquiry form below.
- Print off and complete the Medical Consent Form. Remember to bring this with you to the test. You won’t be able to complete the test if this form isn’t completed.
- Easy spin only the day prior to testing so you don’t feel tired before testing.
Testing location: 17 McNamara Street, Macleod
All tests provide an analysis of your left/right leg power and pedal effectiveness.